UK creative mag CR polled a bunch of adland luminaries to see which taglines/slogans rated highest over the years.
Great taglines are tough.
The best ones are fundamentally good. They have power. And ideally your slogan will become part of the vernacular.
“Monosyllables work best” as my old boss used to say.
Through some bizarre error, CR forgot to ask me my faves. Crazy, I know.
So I shall supply them now. Sorry about the misunderstanding guys!
1. VOLVO. A CAR YOU CAN BELIEVE IN.
2. FEDEX. WHEN IT ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HAS TO BE THERE OVERNIGHT
3. I BET HE DRINKS CARLING BLACK LABEL
4. COMMERCIAL UNION INSURANCE. WE WON’T MAKE A DRAMA OUT OF A CRISIS.
5. THE AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION. THE FOURTH EMERGENCY SERVICE.
And, yes, JUST DO IT. Probably the best ever corporate slogan. Three monosyllables.
Do you have a a favorite tagline?