Alexander Kambanis on An agency blog that’s ac… Mr Ward on The night i inadvertently caus… vinny warren on Ship happens! theescapepod on This blog is moving. This is m… me! on This blog is moving. This is m…
- advertising adweek ally and gargano anheuser-busch apple awesomeness back to school beer blog book brand image branding brilliance bud light budweiser cannes grand prix carl ally catchphrases change chicago claussen pickles crispin porter bogusky dave trott ddb digital director editing fun funny genius google greatness harry potter henry alex rubin hidden camera hugh mcleod ideas ireland jeff goodby journey to the claussen pickles justin reardon kraft lewis lazare lunchables marketing martin weigel media obama officemax old spice penny pranks promotion racism selling seth godin social media station films steve jobs stupidity super bowl superbowl the escape pod the internet TV COMMERCIAL twitter video vinny warren viral viral video wassup whassup Wheat thins whopper freakout wieden and kennedy youtube
- This blog is moving. This is my last post here. Gonna miss this place! SNIFF!!! June 1, 2013in line with our seemingly eternal website redesign, this blog’s address has to change. the new web address is http://theescapepod.com/blog/ See you there. RSS reader users should use this link to continue their intake of blog magic, or blogic if … Continue reading →theescapepod
- Escape Pod creates its first skateboard May 11, 2013My son, god bless him, asked for a skateboard for his birthday. No problem there. The only thing was he specified that it have a Scottish terrier graphic. Big problem. Perhaps not unsurprisingly, there is a distinct lack of Scottish … Continue reading →theescapepod
- Sir Hegarty nails it again May 7, 2013Ever since he’s retired, John Hegarty has really been letting adland have it with both barrels and calling bullshit on an industry that is even more awash with bullshit than it ever has been. And that’s saying something. Adland’s decade-long … Continue reading →theescapepod
- This blog is moving. This is my last post here. Gonna miss this place! SNIFF!!! June 1, 2013
Daily Archives: June 16, 2011
One of the reasons you got into advertising was because you thought it was kind of cool and glamourous.
And it kind of is. Even now.
You get to have a fantasy job: dreaming up things all day.
And you get to go to Hollywood and shoot wee films with the best talent in the world.
And just like Hollywood we have our own Oscars.
And it’s the Cannes Advertising Festival.
It’s the world championship of advertising and it’s the closest we ad folk get to actual glamour.
So we’re going to Cannes.
This will be my second trip to Cannes.
My first one worked out spectacularly well!
Maybe my presence there is the key to success. Let’s test that theory.
I’m really looking forward to it.
And I’m really tired of the award non-winners who tsk tsk and pooh pooh the “excess” of it all.
Adverising people work really, really, really, really, really, really hard.
We don’t deserve to blow off a little steam?
Oh yes we fucking do.
And Cannes is that.
Every creative industry has award shows. It’s part of the game. Part of the fun. We all do it
But the best part of all this Cannes partying is that you make great connections with ad folks from all over the planet.
It’s a trade show. It’s actually useful. That bit gets overlooked by people who have never actually been there.
You will see something that will shake you out of your regional coma.
You will meet someone from Bulgaria who will blow your mind. And take you to a party that will blow your mind.
The whole world comes to Cannes.
And that’s what makes it special.
And everyone dreams about someday lifting a Cannes Grand Prix.
And let me tell you from experience, it is the best feeling in the world.
Having thousands of your peers cheer you and hail you as the best in the world is a feeling that could very well go to your head.
But then you’re back home taking out the garbage a few days later.
That kind of breaks the spell to be honest.